Monday, April 22, 2013

Sewing for Earth Day

a-to-z-letters-sewing for Earth Day


This post is so late because I’ve been busy today!  I finally unburied two of my sewing machines and made myself busy!  It feels so great to make some progress on the sewing projects I’ve been mentally planning for a while!

First up was reacquainting myself with my embroidery machine.  It’s a great little computerized gizmo that was a totally entry-level priced but lots of bang for your buck machine.  What really makes it work for me is this added little gadget my mom gave me years ago that allows me to use my computer to program a memory card that goes into the embroidery machine, thereby expanding the designs it can create infinitely!

Programming the sewing machine

When I first dug everything out, though, I was faced with some challenges.  See, my plan was to create a brand logo for the sewing creations I’m working on so that I would eventually be able to embroider my logo on items I create and (hopefully) make a few extra bucks selling on Etsy and perhaps a few local shops.  When I started out I didn’t think I was going to be able to do it because I had forgotten that I don’t own the software required to digitize images and create embroidery patterns from the images.  A little lot of poking around in the internet and a bunch of research later, I had found a free software that allows me to design my own embroidery patterns!

CHill Creations logo 1Stitching the Logo

I spent a lot of time creating and designing a logo and then testing each one to see how it would work.  It’s not easy to create small logos on an entry-level embroidery machine!  But, at the end of the day, I’ve got a logo I’m happy with!

Logos complete

Because today is Earth Day, I’ll share with you the Up cycled and reusable shopping bags I’ve started making.  These are made from the woven plastic feed bags my chicken feed comes in!  I’ve been raising chickens 4 years now; I’ve got a LOT of feed bags that need to be re-purposed!  I really love these bags because they’re really sturdy and can hold more than most reusable shopping bags!  They come with 50 pounds of feed in them, so I know they can hold at least that much weight; and they're waterproof!

Upcycled Shopping Bag 1Upcycled Shopping Bag 2

Did you do anything special for Earth Day?

5 comments:

  1. Those are awesome! Very cool logo too =) You have been busy! All I did for Earth Day was watch Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bags...almost makes me want to be crafty! I love seeing the things people create posted on their blogs or pinterest, but after I spend a fortune buying supplies, I never get around to actually finishing a project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Embroidery machines are so cool and expensive! Love the logo and bags. Daughter had a rain garden event this wknd at her school, and that’s how we celebrated Earth day. Also, we used the heck out of the nutribullet and made kale and fruit smoothies.

    Chontali Kirk
    chontalikirk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love everything you've done here: a wonderful logo, and clever, cut shopping bags. Great stuff!

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those "Chill Creations" Monkeys are really cute looking. That pattern reminds me of these small bed pillows that my mom made each of us kids for Christmas one year. I wonder how much skill it takes to do those Monkey designs on the sewing machine.

    http://www.creativesewingcentersmn.com

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU have to say about it? Your comments are welcome!

back to top