Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T is for Twitter

a-to-z-letters-t is for Twitter!


It’s time I come clean.  I’ve tried to pretend, I’ve done some research.  But it’s all for naught…

I.don’t.get.twitter!

dont-get-twitter1
Source

I just don’t get it.  I’m trying to convince myself that the reason I don’t “get” it is because I don’t have a smart phone.  If I had a smart phone with all those apps, surely I would understand!  Right?  I mean, I used to call myself “Gadget Girl”.  I used to have all the latest techie tools and was fairly up to speed!

But, life has slowed down.  I live in the boonies; I raise chickens and strategically plan my trips into town!  I have had the same cell phone since I was forced to upgrade when Alltel was forced to sell our coverage area to AT&T; at least two years ago.  I don’t like AT&T and I don’t like giving them my money, but their cell service was the only service that would work out here (it might still be).  I refused to buy into the iPhone and shell over even more of my hard-earned money to AT&T!  So, here I sit:  with my semi-smart phone.  I mean, at least it has a touch screen!  And I can get on the internet if I have to…it just isn’t a great phone for accessing the interwebs.  And so, I tell myself that my phone is to blame for the lack of loving and understanding I have for Twitter.  It certainly isn’t because I’m getting OLD and out of touch! (Sweet Cheezits!  PLEASE, tell me it’s not because I’m getting old and out of touch!)

Day 1 - Coffee
My semi-intelligent phone.

Hopefully someday soon, when the internet decides to make me rich and famous, I’ll be able to afford a smart phone!  Until then, I’m relegated to using Twitter on my PC.

Lately, I’ve read a lot of the helpful information Twitter and the internet offers to people with this particular “just don’t get it” affliction.  Here’s some info I found useful:







Can you explain Twitter to me?

14 comments:

  1. Twitter is ideal for someone who has random thought processes and can multitask with the best of them, which of course should describe all women. It gives us a platform to connect with not just people who might read our blogs but companies we deal with daily. Most major companies have a team of people with their eyes on Twitter and any mention of their company. Complaint about your ATT service take it Twitter. The response time is much quicker and you will find many will resolve issues much quicker. It is also a great place to talk to others about anything and everything literally. See who you follow and then find people they follow and check them out. It is an awesome platform for getting a lot done or said in 140 characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it either, and I am old! I just don't need that much useless information. I have an iPhone, but I rarely use it. Check out Consumer Cellular. I cut my cell phone cost dramatically when I switched from uscellular. I even got a discount for being a member of AARP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet cheezeits! I adore that! Gonna have to steal that Cristyl-ism! It took me awhile too! I am still fully catching on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not alone. I have no idea how to use Twitter. If it weren't for the little button my blog I wouldn't know how to post new blog posts on Twitter. All I have to do it click that little button and off it goes. I'm a new follower here. Found you on the blog hop. Come by and see me sometime at:
    http://badwordmama.blogspot.com/

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me a long time to get Twitter than I realized it is a place to bitch more than anything. Simple sentences. I have kinda learned to like it. Facebook becomes just like high school with all the drama, Twitter is just a bunch of strangers that don't care what I say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great if you have one quick thing to say and don't want to take time to get it on FB or your blog. But trying to keep up with it? Tiring. I do get some hits off of it, so I guess I'll keep plugging along, looking goofy!
    p.s. i posted this article to Twitter, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Technology can be as much a pain as a blessing. Good luck! New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to be a journalist so I like to know what is going on... NOW. That's why I like "Trending". That's the major reason I like twitter. You find out INSTANTLY when something has happened (you have to set alerts, etc.). I follow a lot of cooking/media websites so Twitter gives me up to the second news that I can use. Thanks for visiting the Mom's Monday Mingle... I had a blast co-hosting cause I got to find great blogs like yours! Following you here and everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. New follower here via BlogLovin'. found your blog through the blog hop and so glad I did!
    Nancy-of the crazy 9
    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/3218194

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been on twitter for a while....still don't get it. I actually find it a pain. I consider myself pretty tech savvy....not my favorite social media vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love twitter. I live far away from family & friends. It's a great way to communicate really quickly, almost like a text message. I just found your blog through the blog hop and I'm SO glad I did. Following along now through blog lovin' :) !

    Bisous (kisses) from France!
    Patricia
    The DIY Frenchie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am new to twitter too. Just learning the ropes. I finally put a twitter follow button on my page at

    http://mary-anderingcreatively.blogspot.com/

    Working on my "V" entry today. Hope to have it up tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get twitter, but it seems stupid and self-absorbed to me. Maybe I'm old, too. But to keep the world informed on your every thought and action every minute seems ridiculous. Don't people have lives? Oh well, just wanted to let you know you are not alone! HA! Popping in from the a-z challenge. Blogging is self-absorbed enough for me. :-)
    from The Dugout

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post and links! I like Twitter for promoting my articles and linking up with others, but I'm not a big fan of it in general.

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU have to say about it? Your comments are welcome!

back to top