Friday, June 14, 2013

Chicken Popsicles


chicken feet popsicles

NO!  Not like that – OH MY!  Popsicles for chickens!  It’s summer and everyone else gets popsicles, why not make some for your feathered friends, too?

Mr Meanie Hunchback

Recently our flock has changed a bit.  I gave Quasimodo (the rooster) and two hens to one of DH’s friends.  Quasimodo started out as a gentleman, never daring to challenge me when I tended to the chickens; until March.  In March, Quasimodo just randomly started flying feet first into our legs when we’d go into the chicken enclosure.  At first it was funny.  Then it was frustrating because he just kept coming and coming at you.  Then it appeared as if one of his spurs was growing out, though I’m not a rooster expert, and his leaps were getting higher and higher.  I had to carry a little rake with me into the enclosure every time I went in.  I dreaded going in there.  And I couldn't let Little Man anywhere near the chickens for fear he'd get hurt.  So, I gave Mr. Meanie Hunchback and two of my biggest hens to DH’s friend and I’ve never been happier!

chicken popsicles
Quasi just before he attacked me a few months ago...
when his antics were still funny.


Now that I can go out there and take care of anything the hens need without fear, I’ve been trying to think of ways to help them deal with the intense, record-breaking heat we’re having.  At my request, DH brought the kiddie pool out of the barn and I set it up for the girls again this year.  I had another cool idea while I was out there setting it up…

Last summer and fall, shortly after I became a stay-at-home-mom, I made Little Man tons of baby food purees from fresh in-season veggies.  I made more than Little Man could possibly consume (it was just so easy and satisfying to make him fresh food)!  When I made it all, I froze it in ice cube trays and stored the frozen pureed cubes in gallon freezer bags.  Even though Little Man refused to eat any more pureed food months and months ago, I hadn’t been able to bring myself to throw out the remaining cubes.  So there they sat, in the bottom of my freezer.  Until a couple days ago when genius struck!

chicken popsicles 1
Pureed and frozen carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash
and green beans make a cool summer snack for the ladies!

Chickens like vegetables!  They probably don’t care if they’re pureed.  And it’s HOT!  So, I dug out all the veggie puree cubes and shared them with the girls!  They enjoyed thoroughly, though they were being camera-shy when I tried to catch them in the act or eating their treat!  The girls enjoyed it so much, I'm thinking I may have to make them some more!

chicken popsicles 2
Fortunately, chickens enjoy eating their food off the ground!

What's the weirdest thing you've fed your pet?  What's your pet's favorite snack?

4 comments:

  1. OoohEmmGee Cristyl! YUkk-o! Bek, gag, etc! Bahaha! Where are the blue eggs? I am still waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chicken feet popsicles, is what I was referring to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cristyl. I read your guest post over at Laney's blog. What a wonderful testimony. I just wanted to let you know that I gave a prayer of thanks to our wonderful Lord that He revealed His love to you! Thank you so much for sharing your story and I pray that it reached any heart that is struggling with allowing Christ to be their Savior.

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU have to say about it? Your comments are welcome!

back to top