Sunday, July 14, 2013

Little Man No More–The Story Behind the Name Change

When I started this blog I felt it important to assign my family members nicknames.  Why?  I don’t know, really.  I sincerely doubt this blog will ever grow to be incredibly popular or anything, but I guess this was as much for my own entertainment as it was for their privacy.  Especially since two of my three children are adults and we live in the age of Google; I mean, would it be fair to Monkey Man if I shared the story of how I have video of him singing opera while dancing wearing only his sister’s tap shoes using his real name?  Then when you Googled his name, up pops this story for all future employers, girlfriends, future in-laws to see.  Probably not a fair thing to do to a kid…so, they all got nicknames.

I started out calling my youngest son “Little Man”.  But recently, I’ve had to shy away from that nickname because of a movie (not this movie).  I’ll never be able to hear the name Little Man without the mental association, so I’ve begun referring to him when I blog as the actual nickname we use for him – Buddy.

So, what movie was it?  A movie currently available on Netflix:  Shut Up Little Man!  An Audio Misadventure.  It’s a documentary about these two friends, "Eddie Lee Sausage" and "Mitchell D.", who in the late 1980s recorded their next door neighbors arguing at night, distributed the audio tapes to their friends (who in turn distributed to their friends, who then shared with their friends, and on and on and on…).  The movie tells the story of what happened when the popularity of the tapes grew beyond anything "Eddie Lee Sausage" and "Mitchell D." had imagined.
ShutUpLittleManMoviePoster
Source

When we started watching the movie, I wasn’t sure we would watch the entire thing.  And then we were sucked into the story and had to know how it all ended.

The result:  no more Little Man.  My son shall henceforth be Buddy!

Karaoke Swimmer

Has a movie ever made you change something you do?

4 comments:

  1. I've gone into a movie mad at my husband and come out not mad at him anymore because the storyline was so sappy, lolol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call my nephew little man. Now I want to watch the movie but, at the same time, I don't want to ruin my name for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you hate when nicknames are ruined for you??? It's kind of like some of the baby names we considered, but if you knew someone with that same name that you could not stand, off the list it went. I read the summary on this and it sounds kind of sad and sweet and funny all at the same time. Now I just have to figure out how to get a copy to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I blog "for my own entertainment" lol ;)

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU have to say about it? Your comments are welcome!

back to top