Saturday, August 31, 2013

11 Lessons I’m Learning from My Toddler

Us parents - we think we’re the smart ones and that it’s our job to instill all this “wisdom” we possess into our children.  But how often do we stop and learn from them?

If I were smart, I’d slow down a little, leave that laundry to just sit there and let my son teach me about life for a day.  If I did, I might learn…


Life isn’t a race.  If you’ve ever spent much time with a toddler, you know that they have a tendency to do things on their own time schedule.  Buddy doesn’t worry about the clock…when he needs or wants something, it’s time to do it.  If I were paying attention, I’d be listening to my body and my heart more and following their schedule rather than rushing around trying to accomplish more than can be done in the time I have – just because I’m worried about what people might think of me and how they might label me.

Eat when you’re hungry.  Also, don’t eat when you’re not hungry!  Buddy is in great shape, right in the middle of the growth chart.  I’m constantly worried if he’s eating enough.  He is, clearly.  His eating habits aren’t tied to emotions or anything other than his body’s needs.  He eats until he’s full and then walks away.  He doesn’t reflect on the rough day he had and thrown down one more cookie.  He eats to fuel his body, that’s it.
 
Buddy's "Mmmmm" face while savoring breakfast!

Enjoy the life you’re in.  Nearly every bite of food Buddy eats is followed by “Mmmm…”  Buddy isn’t in a rush to stuff that large McDonald’s fry down his gullet.  Nope, he eats one little fry at a time, savoring each bite.  He does the same with nearly everything he eats – taking his time to eat and savor each bite.  He tells us “Thank you” incessantly.  He appreciates the world around him.  How much better would our lives be if we adopted the same attitude of appreciation and savoring?

You communicate all the time.  Buddy doesn’t talk all that much right now, but you almost always know how he’s feeling!  He doesn’t need words to tell you he’s feeling happy, or frustrated, or tired.  He doesn’t need words to say he’d like another piece of toast, a pointing finger aimed at the toast and a smile back at you when you ask if he’d like more toast is really enough.  Facial expressions, gestures, your posture and so much more we all do conveys how your day is going to the world.  What messages do we send without even realizing it?

Communicating that I need to open the freezer!

Don’t give up and don’t expect to get it right the first time!  Don’t worry about asking for help.  Being little means that you’re constantly trying new things.  Some things are accomplished easily while others take lots of practice or many attempts, and failures, before success.  Buddy just keeps trying!  And if he isn’t big enough to do something on his own yet, he asks for help.  He doesn’t judge himself incapable if he can’t do something right the first time.  He doesn’t say he’s “less” because he needed help to accomplish his goal.  How different would our adult lives be if we looked at ourselves this same way?  How different would we feel if we believed to our core that sometimes we just need help and that it’s natural and OK?

Love your body just the way it is!  Buddy has no modesty; he never hesitates to walk around in the nude.  And he loves his body – he rubs his belly in appreciation not disdain because it isn’t smaller.  And I’m not saying that we all need to be nudists or walk around naked.  But we all should quit worrying about what we look like naked and accept that the shape you’re in is just perfect!  I don’t say that to imply that we adults shouldn’t strive to have a healthy body.  But, if we’d spend more time appreciating everything our body can do and less time worrying how people judge us because of our physical appearance, we might actually love our physical selves more!

This little body fits Buddy just right!

Dance when the mood strikes you!  So what if you’re in the middle of Wal-Mart, if there’s some great tunes pumping out of the automotive section just go ahead and dance!  Who cares if people around you don’t get it!  How much better would our lives be if we just all danced when we felt like it, without worrying if you look ridiculous?  WAY better!

It’s all about the tone in your voice.  When DH and I are cross with each other, Buddy can tell.  He doesn’t need to understand what we’re talking about – it’s all in the tone of our voices.  And when the tone you’re using is projected right back to you in babblese (toddler language) it can be startling.  Sometimes we need to check ourselves and what we’re projecting - and adjust our tone!

If you hurt someone, apologize.  Because Buddy’s still figuring out how the world works, he often (always) does things without thinking about the repercussions.  If he whacks me on the head with his squirt gun and I instantly say “Ow!” he immediately plies me with smooches.  It’s his way of saying “sorry” and he does it immediately.  How much different would the world be if we lovingly apologized as soon as we realized we had hurt someone instead of getting all defensive and justifying our actions?

Just LAUGH!

Laugh!  If it’s funny, laugh!  Who cares if you’re the only one laughing?  Who cares if it isn’t even funny?  Just laugh.  It feels sooooo good to laugh!

Don’t worry about what people think of you.  While it’s the last concept I’m sharing today, so much of what I have to learn from Buddy hinges on this.  How many things would we do differently if we never worried what other people think.  And why do we worry what other people think so much?  Maybe if we would all do what we know is right, instead of silently standing in the crowd worried what others will think if we speak out, the world would be a better place.  Maybe other people would step out and speak up, too!  Think like a toddler and just be you!  If you see a characteristic that you like in someone else, copy it – it’s OK!  Just be genuine!

13 comments:

  1. Couldnt have said it any better! B is 16 months and does ALL the exact same things!!! My favorite new thing is pulling me to the fridge to open the door and picking out his own drink. Then when I tell him good choice he gets all giggly and dances until I pour it into a cup for him (appreciating the little things lol) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what our children can teach us if we stop to list4en. I really love the lessons on the way we communicate and saying sorry. I adore this post, it's amazing. Going to go share it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a smart toddler! Thank you for a wonderful and insightful post! I love the first tip about taking your time and slowing down so that you can enjoy all things in life. I will share the post with my social media!

    Thank you for linking up at the Wondering Brain Hop as well as stopping by MusicTeaching&Parenting

    Maria
    www.musicteachingandparenting.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing the things that little ones teach us. I learn from mine every day. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely beautiful, Cristyl! And so super true! If only we could all follow the innocence of the children...though I have to say that I will walk through any where and if the tunes are good I will either dance or sing...or both! LOL! Thank you so much for sharing on This Momma's Meandering Mondays! Have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is perfect. It's really the truth. As adults, we miss out or just do things the "adult" way. Not really taking the time to think about it. Kids have it so right and yet we take them for granted. I see myself thinking a lot on being a better mom and listening and doing what they are doing. Understanding life can wait sometimes. You made some very amazing points. I think everyone should read this.
    Thank you for linking up with The Mom Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I love all of these, my absolute favorite is the last one - don't worry about what people think of you. People at the store think you're too noisy or laughing too loud? screw 'em. They won't be in your life past the time it takes to walk down the next aisle. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I love this post, my favorite by far is the last one - don't worry about what people think of you. Just perfect. We forget this because we allow ourselves to get caught up in "appearances." But you know what? The 2 minutes it takes to walk past that scowling person at Target will be the only 2 minutes you share with most people. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some beautiful lessons learnt! My toddler's teaching me something new everyday and it's amazing to see him learn so much, so soon. Glad to have found you through the PINcentive blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post! I'm learning so many lessons from my toddler too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am visiting from the PINcentive Blog Hop. I followed you on Twitter and BlogLovin.

    We learn from our children the whole time we are raising them. Hopefully, they learn from us too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. I found this link on Pinterest and this is my first visit to your blog. I want to tell you that I love this post! Your writing style is beautiful and the message is so spot on. I was a teacher for 10 years before becoming a SAHM to my two girls and it's entirely true. The best moments were/are when a child highlights what's really important in life.
    I look forward to reading more or your content!
    Stephanie
    (you can find me over at www.parentingwisewhys.com if you have a chance!)

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU have to say about it? Your comments are welcome!

back to top