Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Tuesday Ten - What Will I Take With Me?

Today I'm participating in a fun blog hop I found at The Golden Spoons - the Tuesday Ten.  You should scoot over there and check out the other posts in the link-up answering today's question:   If you had to leave your house quickly and knew you could never return, what would you want to take with you?? (Besides people and pets.)

If you've been reading here for any amount of time, you've probably figured out by now that I am crazy see things differently than many.  For some reason my brain automatically and almost uncontrollably begins to predict all the ways any given situation can go horribly wrong.  Seriously, any situation.

You're at the park enjoying a nice picnic?  I'm watching all the cars driving through and dogs with their owners to gauge if a car's driver is about to have a heart attack and come careening through the park killing everyone having a good day or if a seemingly sweet dog is about to go all Cujo on us.  Live in the moment?  Who has time for that when you're watching for disaster at every turn.  And I'm not talking normal awareness and cautiousness - I'm talking about an almost psychotic belief that if something can go wrong, it likely will.

I've tried being optimistic.  It's not something I can do easily.  But to imagine how a simple trip to the grocery store could turn into a cut-your-arm-off-or-die situation; well, I've probably imagined it.  I partially blame Hollywood and their willingness to address everyone's worst nightmares through film, but really, who knows why my brain does the things it does?  I surely don't!

Anyway, after explaining all of that, does it surprise you that I've thought of what I would take with me in the event I had to leave my home quickly, never to return again?  It shouldn't...thinking through things like that is just part of who I am.

So, without further ado, here's my list of ten things (besides people and pets) I'd take with me if I had to just walk away from my home forever for whatever reason:


10.  Clothes and shoes - This seems like a no-brainer as long as there's time to be packing clothes.

9.  Food and snacks - being anywhere away from home is always easier when you know you've got something to eat!

8.  My journal and pens to write with - if all else fails, at least I can document life, thoughts and important information if I have something to write on and something to write with.

7.  My vehicle - how else are we getting around?

6.  My camera - I almost always have my camera with me anyways.  I don't know what I would do without the ability to document this world and life with my camera!

5.  My cell phone - it's the only thing that knows all my phone numbers!  When I was a kid, and even as an adult before I had a cell phone, I had tons of phone number memorized.  Now, I only know two phone numbers by heart - my DH's phone number and my "adopted" parent's phone number (it's been the same phone number my whole life - I could never forget it)!

4.  Buddy's favorite toys - what's favorite tends to change pretty regularly, but there are a few that would have to go:  His favorite bear, who used to be named "Beary"but now seems to be named "Buddy", and the backup version we bought but who is almost always with his identical twin.  Ironically, the back-up/stunt-double bear is also named "Buddy".  They've both gotta go with us, plus we recently added a small bear whose name is "Baby Buddy" - he's gotta come with us, too.
Buddy Bear, Baby Buddy and their other brother Buddy

3.  My computer and external hard drives.  I live on my computer and have waaaay too much of my life wrapped up in stuff stored on it.  It's going with me!
This is what my computer looks like right now...
It's trying to die and I'm trying to save it.  Let's hope I'm successful!
Dear computer: please don't die on me!!

2.  My "Very Important Documents" file - this is where I keep our birth certificates and social security cards.  In a situation where we were never going home again it would probably be pretty important to have these!

1. Photos and Photo Albums - I'm counting these as one item, while in reality there are about three boxes of photos and photo albums plus a ton of framed photos on the walls and a little photo display cabinet thingy we would have to take in order to get all the photos that aren't digital.  The digital photos would have to be with us, too, but they are split between being with the other photos but on disks instead of printed and being stored on my computer.
I really need to get all my digital photos backed up so I don't lose them.  It's the one downfall of digital, they accumulate and if you aren't careful they can be lost in an instant when your computer fails.  That's a lesson I'm trying not to learn the hard way at this very moment as I copy photos onto my external hard drive with my main computer booted in safe mode - but that's a story for another post.  Hopefully I'll be able to say I saved all the photos...


Wanna link up with the Tuesday Ten Blog Hop?  Click on the button below and check out the very simple rules!  Next week's topic looks fun, too!

The Golden Spoons

PS. I realize that half the stuff I'm taking with my is useless in the event of a global event like the zombie apocalypse or a giant asteroid striking earth or something.  So, let's just assume that's NOT why I'm packing up to leave and all my technology is going to serve me well wherever I end up!
PPS.  What would you take with you??

back to top