Thursday, May 9, 2013

What Scares You?


I’m a procrastinator - I own this and accept it.  I’m behind in the blogging challenge, but I’m catching up!  In the meantime, I give you my latest…

Blog Every Day in May

Day 7, Tuesday: The thing(s) you're most afraid of



What Scares You?

When I think about what I am most afraid of, it’s a combination of childhood fears and adult fears.  I try not to live in fear, but have been fearful much of my life.

Some of the childhood fears…
I’ve been convinced for a long time that I would die in a house fire.  I don’t remember when I began fearing this and I have absolutely no idea why I have this fear.  But it is as real today as it has ever been.  It was so big a fear when I was a child that I asked my parents to buy one of those ladder in a box things that you throw out your window in case of a fire!

When I was a child, I would have nightmares a LOT.  Often during the nightmares I was stuck in my bedroom, unable to get out and get to the rest of my family for safety, because the floor was covered in wriggling snakes for as far as I could see.  I suspect this fear began when my mother took us to see Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom so young.

I also had nightmares about a creature that was a combination of Jabba the Hut from Star Wars and the Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock.  This creature would always bust through the floor of our home during my birthday party and one by one would eat everyone I loved while I stood there screaming.  I had this nightmare repeatedly…enough so that 30 years later I’m telling you about it!

The Adult Fears…


Finances aren’t easy.  It seems like there’s never enough to pay all the bills and like we’re always just scraping by.  I fear losing our home.  I don’t know what we’d do if that happened.  I certainly hope it doesn’t, but over the past few years so many people have lost their homes, it’s hard not to worry.


Another one that scares me a lot…not being here to see all my kids grow up and have their own families.  Not that there’s anything wrong or anything.  But you just never know what life’s going to throw at you.  Ever since we had Little Man, I worry what either of us would do if suddenly one of us were gone.


Failing my kids.  As a parent you try so hard to make all the right decisions; whether they are hard decisions (or agonizing decisions, even).  You try to do the best you can, but I think it’s a universal fear of parents everywhere that we’re screwing it up.  And that we’ll screw our kids up!

What scares you?
back to top