Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Biting My Tongue and Putting on My Christmas Spirit

Ho Hum...I haven't written a blog post in Fooooooorrrrrevar!  Oh well.  I'm in the middle of testing out a bunch of products you're going to LOVE when I tell you about them.  And also, surviving life...yeah, that takes skill and talent and lots of alcohol some days!


Anyway, I was perusing Facebook Thee Debil earlier and I'm just amazed at some of the people I associate with!  I'm thinking it's time to clean out my friends list!!

I mean, between the people who gladly and confidently share their false statistics trying to assert that more than half of the American population is LAZY and that's why the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer and the people who don't know the difference between there, they're and their...I'm ready for a damn drink going to pull out my hair!

I'm wondering if all this access to social media is good for our country.  I mean, some days I look at the wealth of information easily available on the internet and I'm amazed.  I used to have to write reports for school using a public library's resources and the Encyclopedia Britannica set we had in our home that was older than me!  I had to use a CARD CATALOG to find something I needed in the library!  And now there's Google. And Bing. And whatever other search engines are out there.  (I'm a Google girl - sue me!)

In 2.3 seconds you can Google how many people are receiving disability benefits - and then you can Google the US population - then you do a little division and "Voila!"...approximately 3.5% of the US Population is receiving disability benefits from Social Security.  NOT 51%!!  Holy hell that's a BIG difference!  So, why would you share a statistic like that without KNOWING it to be fact?  Why wouldn't you just educate yourself rather than rely on a news station broadcasting skewed facts information bullshit?

People!  The information is out there!  Avail yourselves of it!  Form your own opinions!  Listen to BOTH sides of an argument and then decide what makes sense to you.  And QUIT JUDGING EACH OTHER!!

Here we are in the middle of the "Holiday" Season - everyone I know screams about commercialization of the holidays and "getting back to the meaning of Christmas".  A week from now (if not sooner) our Facebook Debil walls will be full of posts from our friends and associates (and fellow internet farmers) reminding us of "The Reason for the Season!" And yet we sit in judgement of each other constantly.  I do...I know I do.  I'm imperfect.  But I'm trying, dammit!

Let's quit judging each other and just have some empathy.  OK?  I will if you will.  I'll leave my chronically-misspelling-can't-use-correct-grammar-to-save-their-life friends alone and just smile when I see that they've used "their" instead of "they're"(YET. AGAIN.) if you'll quit telling me that the disproportionate distribution of wealth in the US is because half the people in our country are LAZY.  OK?  Deal?

Cool.  Merry Christmas!

OH, and if you want to view some of the videos that inspired this rant, check these out:




3 comments:

  1. The wealth chart was fascinating. I think I'll be reposting that one the next time one of my Facebook friends starts on a rant...and I don't have any friends in that upper 10% group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I occasionally will use the wrong their/there/they're when I am in a frenzy.. but am quick to fix it lol I am not perfect in my writing, but know THAT difference, it makes me question if people actually pay attention in school to NOT know the difference! And it is probably those same people who do NOT use legit web sites when researching.. I have been doing a lot of research lately about grandma, and almost immediately click out if it isnt a legit web site offering the information I am looking for!

    and PS, have that drink, I did last night! which is rare for me to just have a drink (or two) when its not a group social outing ;)

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU have to say about it? Your comments are welcome!

back to top