Saturday, May 18, 2013

If You Love Something, Let it Go…


Blog Every Day in May

Day 18, Saturday: Tell a story from your childhood. Dig deep and try to be descriptive about what you remember and how you felt.




If You Love Something, Let it Go…

When I was little, probably 7 (maybe 8), my mom hired a clown for my birthday party.  I think it was the first birthday after my Dad had died and she was probably trying really hard to make sure I had the best birthday party ever.  I remember it being a good party, but, then I really only remember one part of it…
The clown brought with him (her?) a big huge bunch of helium-filled balloons and gave them to ME!  This was a huge treat, as even an air-filled balloon was a big deal way back then (you know, in the dark ages).  Anyway, I was playing with the balloons and enjoying how they floated.  Then I got the brilliant idea that I should let go of the strings and grab them a second later before they floated away.  The party was outside…

You see where this is headed yet?

Yep, my little 7 (or 8) year old hands weren’t as quick and accurate as I thought they were!  The balloons kept on floating up as I watched in horror!

19082507-young-girl-playing-with-balloons

And then they got stuck in the big tree next to our house,
high enough up to be just beyond everyone’s reach.

12058283-balloons-on-the-tree-top-1

Thankfully, my one of my cousin’s scurried up the tree and retrieved the balloons for me as I whimpered on the ground below.  As they were placed back into my little hands, I was warned not to play that game again.  What relief and luck!  I remember being so grateful and maybe even appreciated the balloons more after that!

1 comment:

  1. I keep doing this..not in the literal sense, but in many areas in my life..maybe one day, I will learn.

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU have to say about it? Your comments are welcome!

back to top