Monday, April 7, 2014

Eggs

Even though we’ve moved to a suburban area, we still have a few chickens!  It’s hilarious to me to have chickens in a backyard in a full-fledged neighborhood, but it’s allowed here and in many other suburban areas throughout the country. 

The chickens are curious about what goes on in here!


Backyard chicken flocks are a positive side effect of the health foods and organic foods trend – as people became more concerned with what they were putting into their bodies, they realized that one way to ensure that they were getting what they wanted was to grow it themselves.  Thus, a boom in container gardening and backyard flocks in the US!

My desire for a flock is more about a longing for the days of my youth spent caring for farm animals and crops.  Also, I’m interested in self-sufficiency.  And I just enjoy the chickens!  They have character, they’re entertaining!  “Chicken people” get it; the rest of you just don’t know what you’re missing out on!

That tiny little egg means one of our hens has finally started laying again!


The best part of a small backyard flock, though, are the fresh eggs!




For the month of April I will be blogging each day with a letter of the alphabet as my theme as part of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.  Today's theme letter is E!



What do you think of chickens in the suburbs?

back to top